Tortoise invests in assets and services that serve essential needs in society and can also serve essential needs in clients’ portfolios, such as diversification and income. Tortoise’s expertise spans traditional energy investing across the entire energy value chain, sustainable infrastructure including wind, solar and water infrastructure, credit investing, direct lending to social infrastructure projects and index construction. Through a variety of investment vehicles, Tortoise provides a wide range of client solutions, focused on their evolving needs. For more information, please visit www.tortoiseadvisors.com.
Tortoise is currently seeking a newly created position: Director – Head of Impact & Sustainability. This position can be located in our Leawood, KS, New York, NY or London, UK offices. The Director – Head of Impact & Sustainability will lead the research, development and implementation of Tortoise’s firm-wide commitment to sustainability, impact and ESG investing. The role requires developing a distinctive approach to making an impact that is woven into our culture, aligns with our values and validates our commitment to external stakeholders.
Strategy & Analysis
- Design, develop and implement a plan for firm level sustainability integration into our culture, investment process, and general decision making
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of Tortoise’s product offerings and investment processes; identify where sustainable practices already exist and where to enhance
- Incorporate external data resources such as Sustainalytics, MSCI, etc. as part of a sustainability policy
- Set impact goals, metrics and targets to track progress through hands-on engagement with business leads
- Coordinate with internal and external resources to build best practices and establish Tortoise as a strong leader in ESG, sustainability and Impact. Resources may include third party providers and academia.
- Engage Tortoise Portfolio Managers to integrate sustainable and ESG policies, communicating effectively what tools are available; drive for transparency and engagement with underlying companies
- Closely partner with multiple teams across the firm (marketing, product development, portfolio managers) in the design and execution of ESG initiatives
- Collaboratively design internal and external marketing plans and positioning with marketing department to communicate the firm’s commitment to sustainability; deliverables will include transparent impact measurement and reporting
- Represent Tortoise externally on impact topics, communicating the firm’s impact and ESG platform to internal and external clients
- Present at conferences, engage with the media, establish an online media presence and draft written materials
- Proactively participate in industry initiatives and organizations that further sustainable goals
- Stay abreast of relevant industry topics by attending conferences, communicating with internal stakeholders and external experts and staying well-informed of industry research/news
- Carry on Tortoise’s commitment to field building in the ESG and impact investing markets through pro-active participation in industry initiatives and organizations that further sustainable goals
- 4 year undergraduate degree in Economics, Business or Finance preferred but not required
- CFA designation and/or MBA is preferred, but not required
- 6-10+ years’ work experience in investment industry, preferably with an emphasis on sustainable and/or impact investing/advisory
- Practical understanding of impact measurement and management methodologies
- Strong strategic skills with experience being exposed to multiple areas of asset management, especially marketing and portfolio management
- Strong background in project management and communication
- Proven and effective internal and external presentation experience
- Familiarity with UNPRI and other applicable standards
- Insatiable desire to learn and inquire
- Inherent strategic, innovative and independent thinker
- Proactive problem solving, strong analytical skills and critical thinking abilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; experience in building relationships
- Demonstrated confidence and ability to persuasively interact at the most senior levels of colleagues
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet associated deadlines
- Ability to work in a dynamic, collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Strong understanding of data available in the investment management industry and experience in managing and accessing such data to support research efforts.
We welcome your interest in being a part of the Tortoise team. We offer our employees an innovative and challenging place to work with camaraderie and teamwork. We are a growth-oriented, entrepreneurial culture that respects people and values talent, experience and ambition.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org